Home » SiChuan, Travel Culture, Travel Guide

Sichuan Opera Face-Changing Show Guide

25 April 2010 23 Comments

(BianLian 变脸 in Chineses) is a kind of magic tradinational Chinese dramatic art that is know as the pride of . It’s still a big secret how can they do that, But fortunately, We can enjoy Face-changing show easily in .

Maybe you know the famous Beijing opera, But maybe you don’t know there are more than 1,300 local operas in China. opera is one of the oldest. I also think opera is more facetious than others.

Besides its unique solo singing, rich percussion and funny come-dians, Sichuan opera also famous by its unique skills: the face-changing, rolling lamps(滚灯) and spitting fire(吐火),

Face-changing is so magic, That you would be puzzled how they change the masks magically and so many times within a second. And they even needn’t flourish their arms and twist their heads to cover up their tracks at all!

The face-changing is considered as an important intangible cultural heritage in China. This secret has been passed down from one generation to the next within families. Only a few people have grasped this skill.

Face-changing has more than 300 years’ history. At the beginning opera actors changed the color of their face during performances by blowing into a bowl of red,black or gold powder. the powder would adhere to their oiled skin quickly. By the 1920′s,opera actors began using layers of masks, first made of oiled paper or dried pig bladder, Then silk mask. They can wear much as two-dozen layers’ masks, and pull off one by one.

Yeah, As I said, Face-Changing was traditionally performed by actors. To my surprise, I saw the girls performed Face-changing at ShunXing !

Here attached the video of face-changing I took by cell phone, It’s not so clear but you can still feel its magic! I choosed a song named “Face-changing” as the music. :P

Because I can’t visit youtube.com. So I have to upload the video on a Chinese website, I know it has too many disturbing advertisements, But I have no choice but only can say sorry. :(

If you want enjoy the famous face-changing show, here is the Face-Changing Guide In Chengdu:

• 1. Sichuan Opera Theater
    Address:New GuangHua Street, Chengdu(成都新光华街)
    Tel: (028) 6658400
    Fax: (028) 6658400

• 2. Shufeng Square(蜀风广场)
    Address: inside People’s Park,CiTang Street, ChengDu (成都市祠堂街口人民公园内)

• 3. Shufeng Yayun Garden(蜀风雅韵园)
    Address: in the Culture Park,No.73 QinRai Rroad, Chengdu (成都琴台路73号文化公园内)
    Ticket:RMB 150Yuan (Including Sichuan opera show, Tea and snacks )
    Show Time:20:00pm~21:30pm Every night

• 4. Ancient platform(古戏台)
    Address: Inside WuHouCi, No.231 WuHouCi street, Chengdu(成都市武侯祠大街231号武侯祠内)
    Ticket:RMB 80Yuan (Including Sichuan opera show,Tea and snacks )
    Show Time:20:00pm~21:30pm Every night

• 5. Shunxing Old Tea House(顺兴老茶馆)
    Address: third floor of Chengdu International Exhibition Center, No. 258, Shawan Road (金牛区沙湾路258号成都国际会展中心3楼)
    Tel: 028-87693202 87649999-ShunXing Old Teahuse
    Sichuan Opera Show:
    20:00-21:00pm every night
    Ticket: 70 RMB(The price include a cup of covered bowl tea)

• 6. Yuelai Tea House(悦来茶馆)
    Address: Huaxingzheng Street,chengdu (成都锦江区华兴正街)
    Ticket:RMB 15~30Yuan (Including Sichuan opera show and Tea)
    Show Time:
    Provides Sichuan opera performances every Saturday.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin Tags: , , , , ,

• vicky said:

yeah, it’s so pity,i didn’t visit it.Hopy my next journey to chengdu.

iWalk reply on May 29th, 2010 4:39 pm:

But you still have enough chances to visit Chengdu, Vicky!

Don’t worry, Be happy! ~`yeah, that’s the name of my favorite song.

• 景晖 said:

变脸,这个传统,已经很少见了。希望这个文化能保留给后代。

我在电事上看过变脸,很有趣!

景晖
    .-= 景晖´s last blog ..How to Handle & Do Well in an Interview =-.

iWalk reply on May 29th, 2010 5:23 pm:

好久没上MSN了,很挂念,不知道您的伤好彻底了没有。等会我重装一下MSn,不然老朋友们都快把我忘记啦!
    .-= iWalk´s last blog ..Sichuan Opera Face-Changing Show Guide =-.

• jam said:

I had watched Sichuan Opera before in Jinjiang Theatre (锦江剧场), Chengdu. I like the show very much especially the face changing, rolling lamp, puppet performance, hand shadow play, etc. Would like to go back to Sichuan and see the show again!
    .-= jam´s last blog ..Fabulous Destinations for Your Summer Holiday =-.

iWalk reply on May 29th, 2010 5:31 pm:

Oh Jam, I have never visited JinJiang Theatre though I have lived so many years in ChengDu, What a pity!
    .-= iWalk´s last blog ..Sichuan Opera Face-Changing Show Guide =-.

• NiceArtLife said:

Beautiful art form, I saw the film Bian Lian (King of masks) about this ancient and beautiful art. Very impressive!

iWalk reply on May 29th, 2010 5:38 pm:

Oh, Yeah, I know King Of Masks, That’s the kind of movie which makes me cry.
    .-= iWalk´s last blog ..Sichuan Opera Face-Changing Show Guide =-.

• SGE said:

Hi Iwalk!

Only now I’ve noticed you’re back online – hope everything is alright with you and the ones you love. I’m very happy to be able to read your nice posts again!

Again nice to have you back,
    Regards from Portugal,
    SGE
    .-= SGE´s last blog ..San Francisco, California, USA – Part II =-.

iWalk reply on May 29th, 2010 4:32 pm:

I miss you and your blog so much SGE, I don’t know when I can read all those dreat websites like blogspt.com, Facebook.com, Youtube.com, twitter.com etc. freely, Then I wouldn’t lost information from friends like you!

Best regrads, SGE, I hope you have very very happy time in Portugal!

• Che-Cheh said:

Hi there, long time no see!
    I’ve watched the face-changing act in Beijing and also here in Malaysia. Really want to know their secret. Hehe
    Che-Cheh´s last [type] ..Great Ocean Road Self-Drive Day 4- Anglesea- Aireys Inlet’s Split Point Lighthouse &amp Lorne

• san antonio clubs said:

Wow chinese really have a knack for the arts

• rwina said:

Great and very instructive post.thanksss for sharing this nice topic man

• adwords voucher said:

Hi everyone I am a adwords voucher addicted.I really appreciate this blog.thanks for sharing those instructive posts

• refinance student loans said:

What a great blog. I appreciate your work. If only you talk about how to refinance student loan it will be amazing.anyway thanks for sharing

• Ricardo Beverly Hills Luggage said:

Great goods from you, man. I’ve understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely excellent. I actually like what you have acquired here, really like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it smart. I cant wait to read far more from you. This is really a terrific website.

• income infuser said:

Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a bit, but instead of that, this is magnificent blog. A fantastic read. I’ll certainly be back.

• birthday gifts for a chef said:

I started cooking around the house when I was 10-11, and was making full meals by the time I was 13-14. Growing up with 8 brothers and sisters, all of them younger, cooking for large groups was just a given.

• Melaka Girl said:

never experienced it before but definitely would like to watch it if I had the chance in the future. thanks for sharing this info.

• Ella said:

I appreciate your work, I traveled Sichuan last year,beautiful place,delicious food,Sichuan Opera is amazing,

• CIT Training Centre said:

Heya i’m for the primary time here. I came across this board and I to find It really helpful & it helped me out a lot. I’m hoping to give something back and help others like you aided me.

• Child Care, Child Care Centre, Child Care Centres, child care service, Child Care Services, child day care, Childcare, Childcare Centre said:

I am now not sure where you are getting your information, but good topic. I must spend some time finding out much more or understanding more. Thanks for magnificent info I used to be searching for this information for my mission.

• planowane inwestycje said:

If you know that the cost includes complete caulking plus all materials.
    Whatever your requirements are, they inter-mix.
    Potential suppliers that european union 10 nations are
    invited to apply for. These tendering projects are procured
    meticulously from all over the world, searching for
    tenders from any place in the fridge, or place in a large city.
    Do not assume that they are looking foor long-term
    deals. Naturally, I warmed to Munson in minutes, finding european union 10 naions much to tlk about the novel without talking about the twoo books we’re featuring this month.
    planowane inwestycje´s last [type] ..planowane inwestycje