Home » Food Guide, SiChuan

ZhuYeQing

1 February 2009 43 Comments

(峨眉山 in Chinese) locates at province of Western China. It’s one of the Four Sacred Buddhist Mountains of China, And was nominated as in 1996.
I almost forgot all the details about my Mount Emei tour many years ago. But when my father gave me this cup of green tea, I recognized it at once: It’s “” (竹叶青 in Chinese)!

emei-mountain-zhuyeqing-green-tea-china8700

emei-mountain-zhuyeqing-green-tea-china8671

emei-mountain-zhuyeqing-green-tea-china8675

emei-mountain-zhuyeqing-green-tea-china8680

The first and 15th days of every lunar month, Many Buddhist or a tourist will visit Mount Emei, Even during the cold Chinese new spring festival. Because a grand religious rituals will be held at the on these days to honour Puxian bodhisattva(Samantabhadra).

I met such kind of ritual last time I visited Wannian Temple, But the most unforgetable thing about this 1,700 years old temple is a kind of green tea which only grow around Wannian Temple. It’s really like the tender bamboo leaf, So It’s it was named as ZhuYeQing(Bamboo Leaf Green) by Marshal Chen Yi On April 20, 1964 when he visited Mount Emei.

Today, we can see many kind of tea called ZhuYeQing. Zhuyeqing tea is also a company’s trademark for their tea product. But only very few of them are real ZhuYeQing green tea from Wannian Temple area. What a mess!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin Tags: , , , , ,

This is a very informative post, since I do drink Chinese Tea, I haven’t really come across this particular type of tea leave before, I would take a stronger notice if I ever get the chance to try Zhu Ye Qing and look for the original from Mount Emei.

How’s yr Chinese Lunar Year celebrations ? Having lots of fun and food ? ;)

JH’s last blog post..It’s Arriving Soon !

iWalk reply on February 3rd, 2009 3:02 pm:

Yeah JH, there are many different kinds of tea in different places of China. Yeah, each of them has interesting history too! I specially bought a book about them. :)

It’s very stanger that many people came to Sichuan during new spring festival were ill. My mother and sister too! I was stay in hospital for some days, So many people there encounter the same kind of illness.Maybe it’s too moist here. :(

• India On Wheels said:

First time I have seen that the importance of such a little tree in china.

India On Wheels’s last blog post..Kuthiramalika Palace Museum, Thiruvananthapuram – 127

iWalk reply on February 3rd, 2009 3:04 pm:

Oh, China has many kinds of green tea, But India has many great red tea!

• heidi said:

I would love to have some of that tea. It seems very special and I really love green tea. I must come see all these places in China someday!

iWalk reply on February 3rd, 2009 3:08 pm:

Heidi, You will love these green tea, they are very good for health!

• Gennaro said:

I would love to visit that temple. Buddhism is so fascinating.

That tea looks so fresh. I bet it’s very healthy too. I wonder if they sell that in the U.S.

Gennaro’s last blog post..Groundhog Day In Punxsutawney: A Travel Guide

iWalk reply on February 3rd, 2009 3:20 pm:

Oh, you will never regret to visit that temple, the ritual is very royal. :)

They must be picked before QingMing (05 Apr), And you’d better taste it as fresh as possible. So I think this kind of tea will be expensive in USA.

Gennaro reply on February 3rd, 2009 11:07 pm:

Thanks!

Gennaro’s last blog post..8 Presidential Inauguration Locations To Visit

• JustinKC said:

Ill be going to china this coming Friday, hoping i can try one of the tea speciality =)

JustinKC’s last blog post..Surprise Marriage Proposal at Airport

iWalk reply on February 3rd, 2009 3:21 pm:

Welcome to China JustinKC!

You can try many kinds of tea here! :P

• jam said:

I also bought ZhuYeQing during my visit t Sichuan in 2007. I bought it because the seller claims the tea can bring down the uric acid level in the body. Dun know how true it is though.

iWalk reply on February 3rd, 2009 3:38 pm:

Oh, Jam, It can. But the best tea can bring down the uric acid level is Pu’er, Which comes from YunNan. That’s a kind of Black tea.

But green tea has many benefit too! As the report of Harvard Women’s Health Watch, Green tea is the best food source of a group called catechins. In test tubes, catechins are more powerful than vitamins C and E in halting oxidative damage to cells and appear to have other disease-fighting properties. Studies have found an association between consuming green tea and a reduced risk for several cancers, including, skin, breast, lung, colon, esophageal, and bladder.

• Cascia @ Healthy Moms said:

That tea looks good. I love drinking fresh teas. Thank you for sharing!

Cascia @ Healthy Moms’s last blog post..Morning Sickness During Pregnancy: What to Expect and When to be Worried

iWalk reply on February 3rd, 2009 3:44 pm:

Same as you, I love freah teas too! But I also love old tea like Pu’er. TO some Pu’er tea, The older is better. :)

• Quickroute said:

luv green tea but never seen it like that!

iWalk reply on February 3rd, 2009 3:52 pm:

Oh, I know many people love to drink Bag Tea outside China, But in China, we never use good tea to make Bag tea. :)

• Web Marketing said:

Hmmm, I didn’t know about the Emei Mountain, thanks for the brief history. Well I’m guessing that green tea originally from the Wannian Temple must be expensive considering its history and only being available there.

It’s always a mess when big corporates uses a name that has cultural or historic connotations for marketing purposes, when what they are selling actually degrades the quality of the title they use.

iWalk reply on February 3rd, 2009 9:45 pm:

Yeah, You are quite right, when the market in a mess, the name “zhuyeqing” was hurt too. They must take good care of the value of the brand.

• Buzzing J said:

Wait, isn’t “ZhuYeQing” the name of an alcohol drink also? Like “NuErHung”? – that’s what I learned from the “Kungfu” novels. Maybe I’m confused.

Buzzing J’s last blog post..Full Moon

iWalk reply on February 3rd, 2009 9:56 pm:

Yeah, You are right! “ZhuYeQing” is also the name of a kind of wine.

The different is the “ZhuYeQing” tea is from Emei Mountain of SiChuan, The “ZhuYeQing” wine is from SanXi. It’s the sisiter brand Fen Wine which was produced in Xinghua Village, Fenyang. It was first prepared by distilling rice wine together with bamboo leaves. So it got the name “ZhuYeQing”. :P

• Metz - Empty Streets said:

Hi iWalk,

I just love green tea especially this one. It somehow keeps me feeling lighter everytime I drink it :) Hope things are well. Happy Spring season. xoxo

iWalk reply on February 4th, 2009 7:47 pm:

Metz, it’s great to have such feeling when you drink green tea. :)
    Yeah, Spring season is the best season to taste fresh green tea!

• The Fitness Diva said:

Looks very healthy, this tea! It would be hard to find here, I think!

The Fitness Diva’s last blog post..A Sports Lover’s Fantasy Weekend Smorgasbord!

iWalk reply on February 4th, 2009 7:58 pm:

Oh Diva, I think it’s easy to find other kinds of green tea like LongJing or BiLuoChuan at USA.

• lvs said:

I wish you had given a picture of the temple. You have given some very nice history about the tea of the place. China is home to many different exotic teas. But are branded teas taking over these days?

lvs’s last blog post..Terrorism and Media: Transmission or Communication?

iWalk reply on February 4th, 2009 8:29 pm:

Sorry Ivs, I visited there many years ago, I had no camera then. I promise you I will take some next time. :)

Yeah, China is home of many different teas, But I think there is still no world famous chinese tea brand. People only know the name of tea categories like LongJing, BiLuoChun,Pu’er. :(

• Christina Kim said:

Super-Duper site! I am loving it!! Will come back again – taking you feeds also, Thanks.

• Green Tea Health said:

Love your post!! Finally someone got it right!!! Would you mind if I put a blogroll link back to your post? :)

• Paul said:

Does anyone know where I can buy Sichuan Emei-shan Zhuyeqing Tea in the US?

iWalk reply on March 24th, 2009 12:12 pm:

Maybe you can search on eBay, Paul.
    I always think I can find everything on eBay. :)

• Cole Powell said:

the antioxidants in green tea really helps prevent cancer and some other forms of tumors.*;-

iWalk reply on June 26th, 2010 6:49 pm:

Oh, Yeah, That’s true. That’s also the reason why smoking people should drink green tea. :P

• Alisha Cox said:

i love the taste of green tea and it also helps you relax by lowering your blood pressure*~:

• metin2 said:

very good \o/

• Door Curtains said:

i would love to sip a cup of green tea each morning because it contains L-theanine which calms the mind ;*:

• fresh food in train said:

hey there and thanks on your info ? I have certainly picked up anything new from right here. I did however experience several technical points using this website, as I experienced to reload the web site a lot of occasions previous to I may just get it to load properly. I had been puzzling over if your web hosting is OK? No longer that I am complaining, but sluggish loading cases times will very frequently have an effect on your placement in google and can harm your high-quality ranking if advertising and marketing with Adwords. Anyway I am including this RSS to my e-mail and could glance out for a lot extra of your respective fascinating content. Ensure that you update this again soon..

• Carlo Tempest said:

I take green tea regulary because it is good for the health and it is rich in antioxidants. -

Please do have a look at our new website

• Juan Fraker said:

The few large-scale human studies that have focused on green tea’s impact on heart disease and cancer are promising, but many of those were conducted in the East, where green tea is a dietary mainstay. The outcomes are likely influenced by other lifestyle factors such as high consumption of fish and soy protein, says cardiologist Nieca Goldberg, MD, a spokeswoman for the American Heart Association and medical director of the New York University Women’s Heart Center…

See the freshest write-up at our new web blog
    <,http://www.healthmedicinelab.com/strep-throat-symptoms/

• Shop Nutrition Proucts said:

That you are really a fantastic web marketer. The website loading quickness can be awesome. It seems that you will be performing any exceptional technique. In addition, A contents are usually mona lisa. you’ve completed fantastic job during this subject matter!

• free ipad mini said:

Currently it seems like Expression Engine is the preferred blogging
    platform available right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?
    free ipad mini´s last [type] ..free ipad mini

• facebook marketing strategy said:

I am now not certain the place you are getting your information, but great topic.
    I must spend some time studying more or understanding more.
    Thanks for fantastic information I used to
    be on the lookout for this info for my mission.
    facebook marketing strategy´s last [type] ..facebook marketing strategy

• how to make a website said:

If you would like to take a good deal from this post then
    you have to apply such techniques to your won
    weblog.
    how to make a website´s last [type] ..how to make a website