Home » Food Guide

Making Wonton With Love

14 February 2009 47 Comments

It’s Valentine’s Day today, But I want talk about another kind of love, It’s love from parents.
(馄饨) is a kind of traditional Chinese . We can buy wonton easily from supermarkets, Or enjoy them easily at restaurants, But my parents insist on making wonton for me before I leave. They know their wonton is the kind I love most.

wonton-chinese-food01976

wonton-chinese-food01978

wonton-chinese-food01984

Wonton is one of my favorite Chinese cuisines. It has different names in different places of China. (馄饨 in most places of China, 云吞 in Cantonese area, 抄手 in Sichuan).

In my hometown at area, There is a clear distinction between “small wontons” and “large wontons” . “Lare wontons” is often served in chicken soup, With minced meat and green vegetables fillings.

Wonton was a kind of luxury when I was a little child. My parents earned very little money then. But my parents knew how much I love them, So they would buy two bowls of wonton for me every two weeks. Only for me, Not themselves. I still remeber the summer holiday when I was ten years old, I traveled to Chengdu together with mother, I would ask for three bowls of wonton everyday, that’s cost much money that we hardly had no money back home.

But we can’t eat real wontons at restaurant. (also known as shepherd’s-purse) is the best vegetable for wonton in my eyes. It’s a kind of wild vegetable which grows at many places but a difficult to collect. Though we can buy some planted ones now but that’s not the same taste. I don’t know how hard my father got these wild ones. (Sorry I miss the photo of , My father already finished making the filling before I thought of taking the pictures). The filling with is hard to prepare, But the special fresh taste is very very great.

Yeah, No yummy can compare with the capsella bursa-pastoris wontons made by my parents. That’s the food made with love.

Thank you so much, My dear Dad and Mam! I love you so much!

(Know more about wonton on wikipedia: Wonton)

Blog Widget by LinkWithin Tags: , , , , , , ,

• Jodapoet said:

Oh, I love wonton. You have me so hungry just reading this. I don’t know how to make them but I can find them easily here at home. Happy Valentine’s Day :)

Jodapoet’s last blog post..Brooks and Ponds and Moss

iWalk reply on February 15th, 2009 4:57 pm:

Yeah Jodapoet, I have found wonton at Chinatown of SF. But welcome to China when you have chance, You will find wontons here are more delicious. :)

• SGE said:

Hi Iwalk!

They look delicious, do you think you could send some of them to Portugal? ;)

Cheers,
    SGE

SGE’s last blog post..Xcaret Park’s Mayan Show, Cancun, Yucatan, Mexico

iWalk reply on February 15th, 2009 5:00 pm:

So you are traveling to Portugal now! Envy you!
    Why not go farther to China, SGE? Maybe I can make wonton for you! :P

SGE reply on February 16th, 2009 9:36 pm:

Hi Iwalk!

I’m not traveling this time, in fact I’m from Portugal. Must put in the blog some photos of home for you to see!

Now as to Express mail and those Wontons – do you think they’ll resist the trip?… ;)

Cheers,
    SGE

SGE’s last blog post..Xcaret Turtle Center, Cancun, Yucatan, Mexico

iWalk reply on February 18th, 2009 1:11 am:

Yeah, I never saw the photos of your hometown!
    I love Portuguese food too! There is a big Portuguese food restaurant chain in China!

If they can’t send wontons to you? Could you send yourself to China? I think you will love the trip. :P

• Singaporean in London said:

Hey there, I know this may sound cheesy but I called my folks back home after reading your post. No, they didn’t make wanton for me but it did bring back some memories of us having dinner outside feasting on my favorite foods when I was a kid.

Cheers,
    C K

Singaporean in London’s last blog post..Near misses at Train Level Crossings in the UK

iWalk reply on February 15th, 2009 5:07 pm:

I know what you mean,CK. We both have some sweet and soft memories about childhood in heart, That’s love from parents and family. :P

• Mei Teng said:

I love wontons with prawn fillings (minus the pork). Watched chefs make them on tv…seemed like you need skill in folding the skin into flower-like shapes.

Mei Teng’s last blog post..Frog Cuisine

iWalk reply on February 15th, 2009 5:11 pm:

Wontons with prawn fillings are GuangDong style, Mei Teng.
    You love flower-like shapes? Haha, But filling with vegetables doesn’t fit that kinds of shapes. They are more breakable than other fillings.

• 景晖 said:

这一道美食充满了很深的爱情和甜密,令我们这一些读者都感动了!!

情人节不只是给情人,我们也不要忘了父母亲和朋友!!

话说回来,看了这些照片,云吞(本地普扁的说法) 也有那么多说法和准备的访试,我要吃的美食越变越长了!!

祝您情人节快乐!

景晖

景晖’s last blog post..It’s Arriving Soon !

iWalk reply on February 15th, 2009 5:19 pm:

是啊,不仅菜肉馄饨好吃,就云吞来说,仅广州好吃的鲜虾云吞品种就好多好多呢!还有呀,就在成都,抄手也好多品种呢,龙抄手、叶抄手、板凳抄手、怪味抄手、红油抄手、清汤抄手…

嘿嘿,馋的话就来吧!

只不过…在我眼里什么都比不上爸爸做的,嘿嘿。

• sudha said:

Hi iwalk, do you know wonton is very popular in India!!! Vegetarians make wonton with vegetable filling and others fill it with meat.. In India we are crazy of chinese food but I guess it tastes different from the traditional chinese food. Here chinese food is very spicy and I also love chinese cuisine :)

sudha’s last blog post..Passionate Blogger Award !!!

iWalk reply on February 15th, 2009 5:21 pm:

Wow! That’s so great!

There are also many Indian food restaurants in China too! They can let us know each other better. :P

• Che-Cheh said:

I just ate a bowl of wonton noodles with extra wonton. It is pork wonton. Yummy! :)

iWalk reply on February 18th, 2009 1:05 am:

I am here in KunMing,YunNan now, Miss wonton and wonton noodles so much, though YunNan also has many great yummy. :P

• HOBO(nickname) said:

Is it possible to courier one ?
    ;)

iWalk reply on February 18th, 2009 1:14 am:

Haha, I hope so!
    But you’d better come here to try many many of them. :D

• tucsoncarinsuranceguy said:

Awesome post! Added you to my reader a while back have not been dissapointed, keep up the great posting.

iWalk reply on February 18th, 2009 1:14 am:

Thanks! :D

• lala said:

The most delicious food is always made with love. What a great post and loving and generous parents as well. They look oh so yummy and you have made me very hungry now. ;-)

lala’s last blog post..Old City St. Augustine, Part 1

iWalk reply on February 18th, 2009 1:16 am:

Thanks lala!
    You are quite right: The most delicious food is always made with love.

I think food made with love tastes better too. You are so lucky to have your parents made those wontons for you : )

foongpc’s last blog post..Will You Vote For Me?

iWalk reply on February 18th, 2009 1:18 am:

Yeah, I am so lucky to own such warm love.
    I should feedback them more too. :D

• jam said:

I believe wonton is a popular cuisine among Chinese. Whenever there is Chinese in a place, one can definitely find wonton around.

jam’s last blog post..Beautiful Monday: Classical Gardens of Suzhou

iWalk reply on February 18th, 2009 1:25 am:

Yeah, it’s a very popular cuisine with long history. I always feel glad that I can find it easy at Chinatown wherever I go.

• YouLin said:

Wow, 流口水! Enjoy you blog at the same time recalling some childhood stories.. Thanks

iWalk reply on February 18th, 2009 1:30 am:

Thanks YouLin, we all have unforgetable stories of Childhood. :P

• Gennaro said:

That’s very thoughtful og your parents. Wonton was one of my favorites growing up. I like that it’s similar to wrapped-foods in several cultures like ravioli or the equivalent

iWalk reply on February 18th, 2009 1:38 am:

Yeah, there are some similar foods, Maybe they have different name, But they are all yummy! :)

• Cascia @ Healthy Moms said:

Wanton is good. The only time I get to try some is if I go to a Chinese restaurant. But they are probably not as good as what you grew up with.

Cascia @ Healthy Moms’s last blog post..How to Tell if Your Child is Too Sick to Go to School

iWalk reply on February 22nd, 2009 1:14 pm:

Yeah Cascia, we can buy everything today, But these things for sale can’t compare with those made by ourselvse.

• The Fitness Diva said:

I love Wonton soup! I don’t think I would be able to make a good one, though! I’ll leave that to the experts! ;)

The Fitness Diva’s last blog post..Use Your Passions to Get and Stay Fit

iWalk reply on February 22nd, 2009 1:16 pm:

Haha Diva, You are right, we have different experts in different fields. We needn’t learn all these skills!

• ChinkyGirLMeL said:

I love Wontons! Especially the homemade ones with seafood stuffings. Yummy. =)

ChinkyGirLMeL’s last blog post..What Kind of Fruit Are YOu?

iWalk reply on February 22nd, 2009 1:20 pm:

I never made wontons with seafood fillings at home, But I will try. :)

• Ronald said:

Looks yummy! I’m hungry now just looking at the picture. Though I haven’t tried wanton yet. But it looks like a siomai which is also my favorite. :D

Ronald’s last blog post..A While Ago

iWalk reply on March 4th, 2009 4:32 pm:

Hi Ronald, They are similar, But Siomai is steamed, Wanton is boiled. :)

• Real estate Phoenixville PA said:

You know dear one thing when its made by our parents with love than always its taste feel yummy, but sure you made Wonton Good.

• Hotel Spain said:

That’s an interesting article. I just wondered if you could tell me where to find more info on this topic ?

• delicious wonton said:

You are a Chinese, so wonton is very famous around the world, especially in the USA.
    I am mouth-watering now and I would like to enjoy my favorite chicken wonton at home tonight, see ya…

iWalk reply on July 19th, 2009 3:09 pm:

Yeah, I enjoyed wonton every day at china town when I traveled to SF. I think it’s can be easily find in USA. :)

But….But I want enjoy them now!~:P

Hi guy did you’r have news sites ? I liked letter better pro me … ..

• akyaka apart said:

Hi man did you have old sites ? I care clerical cultivate so my dad … ..

• african wildlife safaris said:

You just may be a #catnut if: You ask the Pizza delivery place if they can add an order of cat litter on the side.

• san antonio clubs said:

Absolutely love wonton, too bad I can’t cook.
    san antonio clubs´s last [type] ..San Antonio Clubs

• Rodrigo Crysler said:

Season 7 of “food network star” begins june 5 with a new name and three local competitors determined to take home the title katy clark of long beach, penny davidi of los angeles and jyll everman of glendora are in. Easily compare rates from top companies with a single.