Home » SiChuan, Travel Culture

Enjoy Chinese New Year Painting At Mianzhu

10 January 2009 34 Comments

is one of the most important Chinese traditions. It’s a kind of Wood Block Painting which past on walls and doors during .
new year painting is one of the main four new year paintings of China. I love New Year Painting very much. And hope it can recover quickly from the damage of .

mianzhu-chinese-new-year-painting08
A boy play with butterfly.

mianzhu-chinese-new-year-painting02
A kind of Gate Gods

mianzhu-chinese-new-year-painting04
A kind of fortune boys

mianzhu-chinese-new-year-painting03
Birthday celebrating new year painting

mianzhu-chinese-new-year-painting06
Lady of Qing dynasty

mianzhu-chinese-new-year-painting05
New year painting of seeking long life.

mianzhu-chinese-new-year-painting07
Two Beauties

mianzhu-chinese-new-year-painting0264
On the way to MianZhu. (I took these photos just several days after WenChuan earthquake, You can see the windows of house already gone.)

mianzhu-chinese-new-year-painting0269
On the way to MianZhu.

mianzhu-chinese-new-year-painting0266
On the way to MianZhu.

The Chinese New Spring Festival is coming! Every family would clean its rooms and courtyards and paste New Year Paintings on the windows,doors and walls to seek good luck in the new year.

New Year Painting has thousands years’ history. There are many saying about the origin of New Year painting. The oldest saying was that there were two brothers named Shen Tu and Yu Lei whose duty was to punish ghosts and monsters who wanted do harm to people. Later the Yellow Emperor taught people to draw portraits of Shen Tu and Yu Lei on windows and doors to avoid evil.

In the Song Dynasty, Wood block printing was invented and made the production of New Year Painting much easier. This kind of art became more and more popular among Chinese people. More content and functions also were added to express people’s New Year wishes and blessings.

MianZhu is a county-level city in Deyang, Sichuan, China. The city was heavily damaged during the WenChuan earthquake in May 2008. There were more than 11,000 people died during earthquake. You can know more about this information from my picture report: Visiting MianZhu, 30 Days After WenChuan Earthquake

Mianzhu new year painting is a type of folk Wood Block Painting produced in Mianzhu city. It originated at the end of the Ming Dynasty and flourished in the Guangxu Period of the Qing Dynasty.

I lived in , one town of Mianzhu during my childhood. I still remember that one of mine teacher was very good at new year painting, One of her new year painting also gained a kind of international art reward. That’s big honour of our school.

If you visit Mianzhu by car, You can see many houses along the road were printed Mianzhu new year painting. Fortunately, These houses all survived from the earthquake.

It’s the first new year after Wenchuan earthquake, I hope I can have chance to visit Mianzhu again. Hope all people here can have a warm room to live in, and can enjoy MianZhu new year paiting again!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin Tags: , , , , ,

Your post and write up on the New Year Painting is very good, exceptional !

There is so much more Chinese cultures and practices to learn from and I always learned something more about my roots and Chinese cultures, history here :)

Love the paintings, the artwork is excellent !

JH’s last blog post..Face to Face

iWalk reply on January 12th, 2009 11:27 am:

Yeah, JH.

Folk artwork is so excellecnt! You can find many interesting folk artwork in YunNan too if you visit there this Autumn. :)

• heidi said:

I had no idea about the New Year painting and love all the pictures-especially those on the sides of the buildings and houses. I love learning about different cultures and Chinese culture is so beautiful and filled with so many things that interest me. I learn something new everytime I visit!

iWalk reply on January 12th, 2009 12:13 pm:

Oh heidi, You can see these new year painting on the wall of houses on the way to Mianzhu, And you can also see them in many country houses of MianZhu before, but half towns of Mianzhu were destroyed by earthquake.

I like the 1st painting!

My Bug Life’s last blog post..Smiling Faces

iWalk reply on January 13th, 2009 4:21 pm:

I like the 1st one too.
    It includes good wishes of every ordinary Chinese family.

• winona said:

chinese painting figures looks very unique and has it’s own character. I guess the reason why it is worldwide fame :)

winona’s last blog post..Sibolangit forest

iWalk reply on January 13th, 2009 4:28 pm:

Yeah winona, We all like the true folk culture, It comes from the life and keeps the own character well. Whatever it belongs to China, Africa, Or Your Java. :P

• Cascia @ Healthy Moms said:

Wow, beautiful artwork. Thank you for sharing. You have a lovely blog here. I’m looking forward to reading more.

Cascia @ Healthy Moms’s last blog post..Spotlight Blog – All About Parenting

iWalk reply on January 13th, 2009 5:13 pm:

Thanks so much for your kindly comment, Cascia. I love your prayer chain idea too. :P

Love the paintings of the boy with the butterfly and the two beauties!

foongpc’s last blog post.."Sorry, We Don’t Accept Credit Cards"

iWalk reply on January 13th, 2009 5:17 pm:

We always say we can know a person’s wishes from the things he like. Is that right? :P

• Quickroute said:

I hadn’t heard of the new year painting either – very interesting and colorful!

iWalk reply on January 13th, 2009 5:47 pm:

It’s old tradition of China.
    Many young people here don’t know that too. :P

• Prabakaran said:

wow!! real amazing..nice beautiful paintings

iWalk reply on January 14th, 2009 6:58 pm:

India also has many beautiful paintings too! :)

• sherry said:

very beautiful, you must have a good understanding of Chinese culture!! learning!!

sherry’s last blog post..xi’an series: Mausoleum of Emperor Qin Shi Huang—-an unexcavated treasure house

iWalk reply on January 14th, 2009 7:39 pm:

Thanks sherry! You too! :P

• Prabakaran said:

hey i am very impressed with ur blog..i am adding in my blogroll
    have a nice day!!

iWalk reply on January 14th, 2009 7:42 pm:

Thanks so much Prabakaran, You are always welcome!

• mary said:

Fantastic!Very beautiful!

iWalk reply on January 14th, 2009 7:43 pm:

Yeah, I hope I can have all of them. :)

• The Fitness Diva said:

Those are gorgeous! I wish that I could paint beautiful pictures like that. Those artists are very talented!

The Fitness Diva’s last blog post..Dieting Goes Retro

iWalk reply on January 15th, 2009 11:31 am:

We may never know these folk artist’s name, But they are talent indeed!

• Web Marketing said:

Wow, that’s great art. It’s simple but very beautiful art.

iWalk reply on January 15th, 2009 10:11 pm:

Agree with you! Folk artwork always have many fans, because it comes from our normal life. :)

• Atniz said:

Enjoy your New year with your loved ones and with your family members. Some of my China’s friend that works in Shenzhen already started going back to their hometown. Most of the factories are closed for 2 weeks. Have a safe journey!

Atniz’s last blog post..What To Sell On Your Blog?

iWalk reply on January 19th, 2009 11:29 am:

Thanks Atniz, I am already back to my parents’ home safely. Yeah, We will enjoy a long-time new year holiday.

I hope you and all your friends can share the happiness here too!

• tikno said:

The Chinese art / culture have its uniqueness.

tikno’s last blog post..Chinese New Year 2560 – Gong Xi Fa Cai

• Keri Sipple said:

Below is a list of the items we purchased and the stores where we found these deals at. Many bacteria that populate the microbial ecosystem of the human intestine synthesise vitamin K2 MK 5 through MK 14.

• see more said:

You realize therefore significantly relating to this topic, made me personally believe it from so many various angles. Its like men and women are not fascinated unless it’s something to do with Woman gaga! Your individual stuffs excellent. All the time handle it up!

• broadcast duplication sydney said:

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have bear in mind your stuff prior to and you are simply too wonderful. I actually like what you’ve bought here, really like what you’re saying and the best way during which you assert it. You are making it entertaining and you still take care of to stay it smart. I can’t wait to learn far more from you. This is really a terrific web site.

• Comprar Pendientes de Plata said:

Very beautiful pictures!

• Shop Minerals said:

Hey there my mate! I would like to declare that pros and cons wonderful, nice created and may include close to all important infos. I want to notice more discussions in this way .