Home » Japan

Kyoto Nishijin Textile Center Travel Guide

15 November 2008 13 Comments

We all know that is the former capital of Japan. But did you know what’s the reason they choosed as the capital at about 1300 years ago?
Kyoto is a place to tell you this special history.

at Kyoto Nishijin Textile Center

You can study weave in traditional methods on this kind of mini loom

Kyoto Nishijin Textile Center & Kimono Fashion Show

The history of Nishijin silk weaving began with the history of Kyoto in 794. A branch of Hata clan moved to Kyoto. They brought knowledge of silkworms and fabric skills. The economy of Kyoto became so strong since they came, and emperor Kanmu decided to move the capital to Kyoto. There were about 5000 weaving factories in the Nishijin District during the Edo Period. Nishijin district remain the home of Japan’s largest handmade weaving industries.

Nishijin Textile Center was a museum about Nishijin Textile history. It hosts demonstrations of ancient weaving techniques, presents fashion shows and local textile exhibitions. And of course, you can buy Kimono there too, But that’s too expensive to me.

The most attractive thing to me is the Kimono Fashion Show. It’ s held or six or seven times daily at the Nishijin Textile Center. The showcases kimono changes with the seasons. The show was performed by professional geishas.

Address:
Horikawa- Imadegawa Minami-iru Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto JAPAN 602

Open hours:
open everyday from 9:00am to 17:00pm
The textile center is closed from August 13th to 15th and December 29th to January 15th.

How to get there:
It is located in central Kyoto and you could take a number of buses such as 9, 51, 59 or 101 to Horikawa and Imadegawa to reach the place.

fee:
no admission charges to the textile center

What can I experience?
*You can study weave in traditional methods on a mini loom, And you can take your woven products home with you. The fee charged is 1800 Yen or $15 (adult fee).

*You can also study dressing a maiko known as a Maiko or geiko, Or 12-layered Kimono of the imperial court. This kind of professional entertain cost about 10,000 Yen each, and avialiable from 9:00am to 15:30pm.

Kimono Fashion Show:
Spring (April 01 to June 30) & Autumn (September 01 to November 30): 7 times a day:
10:00am; 10:50am; 11:45am; 13:00pm(13:15pm on Saturday and Sunday); 14:00pm; 15:15pm; 16:00pm

Summer(July 01 to August 31) & Winter (December 01 to March 31): 6 times a day:
10:30am; 11:30am; 13:00pm(13:15pm on Saturday and Sunday); 14:00pm; 15:15pm; 16:00pm

Blog Widget by LinkWithin Tags: , , , ,

Kimonos are beautiful….just like the Chinese qi pao…:)

Tiny reply on November 16th, 2008 11:03 am:

Oh, yeah, QiPao is a kind of wonderful design of Manchu in Qing Dynasty, But it’s the symbol of China now. It’s so suit to Chinese women, Just Kimono is suit to Japanese women. :)

• RennyBA said:

A very interesting, readable and educating post dear blog friend – I did not know any of this, so thanks for sharing!

Did you know we have weaves in Norway too – I so much remember my grand, grand Mother used one.

Btw: Thanks for your warm greetings on my blog Anniversary!

Tiny reply on November 16th, 2008 11:11 am:

Thanks Renny!

I didn’t know there are weaves in Norway too! So people are same in such base demand. :)

You also remind me my grandmother, My father said She knew weaves well, and she also had an ancient weave machine too.

• winona said:

in my country there’s still weaving, but nowadays most of the textile is made in big industry. Traditional woven still considered expensive there, and mostly it is used for souvenirs and worn in special occasion only :) .

Tiny reply on November 17th, 2008 7:31 pm:

It’s same in our country, Winona.

You can see my other post about the Famous artist AiWeiWei’s Fairytale House In Documenta Kassel 2007, The bedsheets he prepared for us is hard-weave textile:

Ai WeiWei’s Fairytale House In Documenta Kassel 2007

• iWalk said:

Great post Tiny!

I am interesting in Kimono Fashion Show too.

I hear that we can tell a lady’s state (like married or not married) from the method of Kimono she wear. But I forget the detail.

Tiny reply on November 18th, 2008 12:22 pm:

Yeah, iWalk, kimonos are different considering a lady’s age, marital status, and the level of formality of the occasion. But it a little complex to me too!

Nice post !

Must be fun to visit such wonderful places while on a business trip ! :)

Tiny reply on November 18th, 2008 12:29 pm:

This kind of business trips is so wonderful.

I hope I can enjoy once a year! :D

Did you also enjoy your business trip when you visited Shanghai?

• heidi said:

I loved seeing and reading this as here in Kansas we don’t get to experience these things. Loved stopping by.

Tiny reply on November 18th, 2008 1:19 pm:

So glad to see you here Heidi, because you are a lady who really understands the beauty and life!

• Powiekszanie penisa said:

Hi all, I am a frequent user of your site and I love it. I decided to start your website and would like to commend powiekszanie penisa . I hope you too.